Okra is a very unusual vegetable. It has a very distinct taste, texture, and look. I always said that I loved okra and would it eat anytime, anywhere. But what I really loved was fried okra. The first time I tried okra that wasn’t fried …. yuck, slime fest! Since then I have learned to love okra again because I have figured out how to cook it in such a way that it is NOT slimey! HOORAY! I will give you the recipe at the end, but first, here is WHY you should make okra a regular part of your diet:
- It is high in fiber and acts as a natural laxative. Constipation can be an issue while you are on plan and okra can help in that department.
- It is full of antioxidants and vitamin A. Okra helps keep your vision sharp and keep your skin healthy. Some even go so far as to say it helps with cancer prevention because of the antioxidants.
- Okra has many minerals including: iron, calcium, magnesium, and manganese.
- It is thought to help in lowering cholesterol.
- Helps keep blood glucose levels stable – reduces the absorption rate of glucose and helps reduce blood sugar levels.
Slime Free Okra
- 2 tsp Olive Oil
- 1 tbs Garlic Powder
- ½ tbs pepper
- ½ tbs salt
Preheat your oven to 400-425 degrees. Take about 3 cups of okra and wash and dry. Make sure okra is dry before cooking. Then, either using kitchen scissors or a knife, cut each okra into about ½ inch pieces. Place the pieces in a mix bowl and mix with olive oil, salt, pepper, and garlic. You can also add whatever spices you want, this is just what I like. Place the okra on a baking sheet and bake for approximately 30 minutes or until okra is desired crispness.
Leave a Reply